Thursday 30 November 2017

Necromunda barricades (painting rusty ones)

Hi all

A couple of days ago I asked everyone for suggestions on how to paint rusty effects on bulkheads etc. Thanks for all of your suggestions, and it did help me a lot. 

Firstly I undercoated black and then sprayed it Mournefang Brown. I then drybrushed dryad bark over it sporadically (yes it is darker, the reason why is because I want some orange in the recesses). 

I then dipped my little finger in dark iron weathering pigment and brushed it all over. I then did a little drybrush of the powder too for the hard to reach places. 

I then used orange rust and old rust weathering powders across the piece. 

I then drybrushed it again to even it out. 


Followed by a little bit more dark iron weathering powder. 

I'm quite happy with how it has turned out. I will be using the technique on a few more barricades, but I will also be using the hairspray (with sugar here and there too possibly), airbrush a colour, scratch off and oil wash streaks technique on them too possibly. 

Drake Seta

7 comments:

  1. It came out well, but how long does that process take?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rory. 5 minutes each after the brown painting part is done. Really simple.

      Delete
  2. Since you are already using an airbrush I highly recommend Vallejo chipping fluid over hair spray. It feels a lot more controllable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi -kei. I had a look at that process on massive Voodoo. Looked really good. To this point I had never seen a "chipping" colour. I will be acquiring this month. Cheers buddy.

      Delete
  3. Are you finding it necessary to use a "proper" primer before the Citadel spray cans? I've been going back and forth on the topic and every bit of data helps- I've had a little paint wear off from handling sub-assemblies on a recent test model and wondering if that's because I used Mechanicus Standard Gray straight over the plastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably. As far as I understand, none of the GW sprays are actually primers, even the black and white, but I've always find durability improved when working over a decent coat of black.

      Delete